The Gulbenkian Foundation generously supports one artist in residence for a period of 3 months in 2019 at AiR 351 (May, June, July). Artists from all countries at any stage of practice are invited to apply. Exception: current or past residents at AiR 351 and artists with a permanent residency status in Portugal are not eligible.
AiR 351 is an independent international visual arts residency program located in Cascais, Lisbon region (Portugal). AiR 351´s praxis follows a collaborative model based on solid one-to-one relationships within the art world. Its team works closely with each resident on a supportive environment, anticipating and reacting to its needs. Through institutional partnerships, AiR 351´s activities encompass a variety of contexts such as museums, universities and art schools.
The program includes access to an individual studio and to communal spaces at AiR 351´s headquarters. AiR 351 will involve the 2019 Gulbenkian Grant / AiR 351 recipient in its general activities program: integration in the local artistic community, technical and curatorial assistance, possibility of working within AiR 351 partners network (namely art schools workshops), studio visits, open studios and public presentations, when possible. AiR 351 do its best efforts to help the recipient finding suitable accommodation.
The 2019 Gulbenkian Grant / AiR 351 artist will receive:
– 1000 euros/month: to cover accommodation and other living expenses, plus travel support. The travel support comprises:
– 500 euros max. (Economy class, round-trip) for artists travelling from Europe.
– 1000 euros max. (Economy class, round-trip) for artists travelling from countries outside of Europe
– Health and/or accident insurance during the grant´s timeframe.
All applications should be written in English and must include on the same file (1 document only):
– Personal information (contacts)
– Letter of motivation including a brief description of current practice, statement of intent and goal of the residency (500 words max.);
– Curriculum Vitae;
– Portfolio (max. 10MB total)
– Optional: letters of recommendation (3 max.)
Applications must be submitted via email to the following email address referring to the Gulbenkian Grant / AiR 351 open call:
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND
– Letters of recommendation should be written in English;
– Only digital material is accepted;
– Candidates should be proficient in spoken and written English;
– Candidates should not be enrolled in another residency during the same period;
First, there is a pre-selection by AiR 351 international Selection Committee. Then, the final decision is a joint responsibility of Gulbenkian Foundation and AiR 351.